We will be taking orders starting on May 1st, 2018, for beef available in Fall, 2018.
Please contact Jerry Ford, email@example.com. Thanks!
“Made a delicious stew this week using Living Song beef. It was terrific – both tender and
flavorful.” Chris, St. Cloud
“Great steaks!” John, Howard Lake
These will be hormone-free, grass-finished cattle who will graze all summer on our certified organic pastures.
This year’s animals are either unbred females or freemartins, which are gender-bender bovines that present as female but are genetically male. They’re sterile, and only live to eat and – at least on our farm – romp around in lush grass. Freemartins have been prized for their meat in Europe for centuries.
We will slaughter in Late September or October.
See our page on Making the Perfect Beef Roast!
Your quarter beef will be a “split half”, which mean that you’re buying a quarter of the meat from the animal, but not specifically a front or back. So you get all the cuts (if you just got, say, the left rear quarter, you wouldn’t get any brisket).
They generally finish out smaller than the typical corn-fed beef – probably around 150 pounds hanging weight per quarter (your take-home weight is less unless you want all the bones) – which means it will take up less room in your freezer – about 3 cubic feet – and will cost less. But it will taste great and have all the nutritional value of grass-finished.
Note: in 2017, some of the quarters will probably be a bit bigger than this – closer to 180-200# – just the way it worked out.
“A totally positive experience” Marge, Annandale
I’ll have solid pricing and final purchase instructions up in the summer of 2017. In general, when you purchase beef by the quarter, you’re getting it at a wholesale discount. We’re expecting it to be around $3.25 pound, based on the “hanging weight”. This is the weight of the quarter after the animal has been butchered, but before it has been divided into individual cuts. Your quarter will be cut to your specifications, working directly with White Front Meats in Cokato (see instructions below), and you will pay them separately for the processing.
So, a sample price scenario would be 170 pound quarter x $3.25 = $552.50, plus approximately $140 processing.
We’re expecting quarters to range from 140 – 180 pounds hanging weight, and you can tell me if you’d like your quarter, half or whole to be from a larger or smaller animal.
To reserve your beef, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, 763-244-6659, and then send in the deposit (see below).
MORE DETAILS ON BUYING A “SPLIT-HALF” QUARTER
Don’t let the fact that this process is a little complicated deter you; the benefits far outweigh the learning curve. Why is it complicated? First off, we have to do certain things to comply with regulations. Secondly, the butcher is going to customize your quarter specifically to your tastes.
1) Call or email first to check availability: 763-244-6659, email@example.com. Then make your reservation by sending:
– a deposit check for $100
– your email and phone #
Living Song Farm
7616 – 25th St. SW
Howard Lake, MN 55349
2) Wait until September as your animal matures and stocks up on all that organic grass goodness. You may come and visit them if you like.
3) In September or October, after the animals are slaughtered – which is done right here on the farm so there’s no scary truck ride for them – I’ll contact you with final pricing and let you know when to call the butcher.
4) Call Debbie at White Front Meat Locker, (320)286-2713, and she will guide you through customizing you order. She’ll help you decide how much roast you want, the thickness of your steaks, how much hamburger, and so on. Allow 20 minutes for this conversation.
5) Debbie will let you know when your meat will be ready. You will need to pick it up within a couple of days. Again, this in late September or October.
6) Go to White Front, 260 Broadway Ave S, Cokato, MN 55321, to pick up your meat. Because of regulations, you will need to give them your name, address and phone number. THEY DO NOT TAKE CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS, so be prepared with a check to pay for the processing (around $120-150). Bring large containers or coolers, and warm gloves.
7) I will contact you with the final cost of the meat itself, less your deposit. You will send me a check for that amount, made out to Living Song Farm.
8) Take your meat home and get it in the freezer promptly.
9) Invite Jerry and Mariénne over for a cook-out.
We appreciate you!